Remarriage License


Please be aware that as of December 1, 2023 The City of Rahway Department of Health will NO LONGER be accepting cash. 

All fee's must be paid by Check or Money Order.

In the State of New Jersey you must apply for a Remarriage/Reaffirmation License  if you had a ceremony/were married in another country or For individuals who are currently married in New Jersey or are married in another state or country, the option exists to reaffirm your relationship/vows by registering a remarriage.


A Remarriage/Reaffirmation License DOES NOT mean that your marriage is recognized in the State of New Jersey. You must have a Remarriage/Reaffirmation License certified with someone certified in the State of New Jersey (see image for who can officiate) in order for your marriage to be recognized  in the State of New Jersey.

The Fee for a Marriage License is $28.00
This is payable ONLY by:
Check or Money Order

  1. Health_Red_Black

    Andrea Alvare

    Director/Health Officer

  2. Amanda Figueiredo, CMR

    Local Registrar, ABC Board Secretary

  1. Lilibeth Rivera, CMR

    Deputy Registrar


Remarriage/Reaffirmation License

To apply for a remarriage/reaffirmation license, the couple must provide proof of their existing marriage, meet the requirements for entering into a marriage in New Jersey and follow the guidelines above to completing the license application. The process for a remarriage license is the same as for the marriage license, except that the remarriage license must be accompanied by the proof of existing marriage. There is no 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued.

The process for a remarriage/reaffirmation license is the same as for the marriage license, except that the /reaffirmation license must be accompanied by the proof of existing marriage. There is no 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. You may pick up the /reaffirmation license the day after applying.

Note: Rahway City Hall is currently not performing any marriage ceremonies or certifying any marriages. You must find an officiant that is licensed in the State of New Jersey.

Blood tests are no longer required to obtain a marriage/remarriage/reaffirmation license in New Jersey

If you are completing the application prior to coming in,


Who should be present at time of application?

Both person’s applying  and one witness. Everyone must be over the age of and has valid photo ID.

How To Apply:

Who should apply
One or both applicants must reside in the City of Rahway.  
 If both applicants are from out-of-state, the application must be filled out in the municipality where the remarriage ceremony will occur.
Where to apply
City of Rahway Health Office, Monday thru Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
When to apply
It is recommended that the license be requested at least four weeks before the ceremony. 
 It is mandated by the State of New Jersey that there is a 72 hour waiting period from the exact time of application until you can use your marriage license. Weekends are counted in the waiting period.
 After the license is issued, the remarriage license may ONLY be used in the state of New Jersey for (30) thirty days, after which time the license expires and you must begin the remarriage license process over.


Applicants must know:

  • Both parents’ birth places (if both parents are listed on original birth certificate)
  • Both mothers’ maiden names
  • Both fathers’ names (if father is listed on original birth certificate)
  • Name and address of the person officiating the marriage as well as the date the ceremony is to take place
  • The title of the person officiating the marriage
  • Address of where you will reside after your ceremony
  • Telephone number you can be reached at

Applicant(s) must have with them the following items:

  •  If divorced, we need the date and municipality in which the divorce occurred, the full name of the former spouse
  • If widowed, proved the date of the deceased and municipality they died in and full name of your former spouse
  • Proof of identity by presenting a driver’s license, passport, or state/federal/county ID
  • Proof that one of the applications getting married reside in Rahway. You may provide a valid driver’s license, lease, tax return, etc.
  • Proof on the existing marriage from the country you were married in

After your Remarried is certified

All 4 pages of License must be completed and signed.

  • Page 1 and 2 of the License must be mailed or brought to the Registrar in the Municipality in which you were married in. DO NOT bring it to the municipality that you received the license in UNLESS you were married there.
  • Page 3 is kept by the applicants.
  • Page 4 is kept by the person who performed the ceremony.

After the certificates are filed in the municipality in which the remarriage occurred, you can the apply for certified copy is that municipality.


Acceptable Forms of Identification

Valid photo driver's license or photo non-driver's license with current address. OR

Valid driver’s license without photo and an alternate form of ID with current address. OR

Two alternate forms of ID, one of which must show the current address

  • Alternate Forms of ID:
    • Vehicle registration
    • Vehicle insurance card
    • Voter registration
    • US/Foreign Passport
    • Immigrant Visa
    • Permanent Resident Card (Green card)
    • Federal/State ID
    • County ID
    • School ID
    • Utility bill (within the previous 90 days)
    • Bank Statement (within previous 90 days)
    • W-2 or tax return for current or previous year